Among the first promoters of railways in Sindh was Hardy Wells, a civil engineer who had toured the country and made a survey of possible routes for the railway. Largely due to his efforts, the Sindh Railway Company was formed in 1855, under the chairmanship of W.P. Andrews. This company was to build not only the Sindh railway, but also the Punjab line from Multan to Lahore and Amritsar. It was also in charge of a flotilla of steamboats on the river between Kotri and Multan which would complete the System of communication between the Punjab and Karachi. Work was begun on the Sindh section of the railway in 1858. After some delay and difficulty in construction, the Karachi-Kotri line was opened for traffic on 11 May 1861.Opinion regarding its route was still very mixed, but the line carried goods from the harbour to the river station efficiently and quickly, helping to improve trade.
Today there are seven main stations in Sukkur (at Sukkur, Rohri Junction, Pano Akil, Ghotki, Dharki, Shahbunder, and Arain Road), and two main junctions, at Rohri and Sukkur. Sukkur is connected with the Karachi-Peshawar line via Rohri junction and with Sibi via the Habibkot junction.