A Marvel of ninetieth century engineering, the longest rigid girder bridge in the world at that time, was begun in 1887.The Indus Valley State Railway had reached Sukkur in 1879 and the steam ferry which transported eight wagons at a time across the Indus was found to be cumbersome and time consuming. Designed by Sir Alexander Rendel, the girder work weighing a massive 3,300 tons was erected by F.E. Robertson, and Hecquet. The ferry link between Rohri and Sukkur became redundant when Lord Reay Governor of Bombay. Deputizing for Lord Lansdowne , the viceroy, inaugurated the Bridge on 25 March 1889. As summer comes early to Sukkur and the wearing of heavy European – Style Uniforms would have been uncomfortable , the opening ceremony took place early in the morning . After Lord Reay had unlocked a highly ornamental padlock (the design of J.L. Kipping, CIE, Principal of the Mayo School of Art in Lohore and father of Joseph Rudyard, the famous poet and author). Which had held shut the cumber – some iron gates guarding entry to the Bridge , the gathering walked across the Bridge and then adjourned to break fast followed by toasts under a shaman Berridge 1967:128 with its construction, Railway link between Lahore in the heart of the granary of British India and the Port of Karachi on the Arabian Seacoast was completed. When the great steel Ayub arch, was constructed (1960-1962) , Railway traffic was shifted to this Bridge . About a hundred feet apart, the two bridges seem like one from a distance. The Ayub arch became the world’s third longest Railway arch span and the first bridge in the world to have ‘the Railway desk slung on coiled wire rope suspenders’. Dr.D.D. Steinman of New York, proponent of vocational aesthetics designed this graceful Bridge. Which cost about two crore rupees. The foundation stone was laid on December 9, 1960.Attribute to Pakistani, American and British engineers, it was opened by President Muhammad Ayub Khan on May 6, 1962.
Share your comments support us