The Municipal Corporation was constituted for the first time in 1856, when the population of Sukkur town was only 12,000. The work of the town was carried out by a committee consisting of sixteen non-elected officials who were residents of the town, with an unelected Collector as its president. In 1885 the citizens got the right to elect their representatives, but the Collector remained the president, the citizens were however, given the right to elect their own vice-president. In 1911 the Municipal Committee got the right to elect its president. Diwan Bhoj Singh, who in 1937 became the first Speaker of the Sindh Assembly, was the first president. In 1948 the Sukkur Municipal Committee was superseded by the Government on grounds of maladministration and financial collapse. The administration was handed over to an administrator appointed by the central government with a view to putting the affairs of the local civil body in order.
In 1961 the Sukkur Municipal Committee was recognized as a first-class Municipal Committee. The boundaries of the municipal jurisdiction enclosed three and a half square miles, and the total population, according to the 1961 census, was 103,154. The Municipal Committee was divided into ten Union Committees headed by an elected chairman under notification No. 501 1-20/VO issued on 25 March 1980 by the Government of Sindh, Housing, Town Planning, Local Government, and Rural Development Department. The chairman of the Municipal Committee was the executive head and also the controlling authority for the Union Committees. The Commissioner of Khairpur Division was the controlling authority for municipal affairs.
During 1980 the Sukkur Municipal Committee was raised to the status of a Municipal Corporation. By then the municipality had spread over an area of seven and a half square miles. There are thirty-four elected representatives, of which four were reserved seats two for ladies and two for labor classes. Mr. Islamuddin Shaikh was the first elected mayor of Sukkur Municipal Corporation. Since 1992, no elections have been held by any Government, and the Corporation is currently run by an Administrator and a Municipal Commissioner, both appointed by the Provincial Government.
The Municipal Corporation manages seven hospitals one with thirty beds a maternity home, a women hospital, an X-ray clinic, and a physiotherapy center. It also runs four waterworks which supply six million gallons per day to the citizens.